Today I began the process of making essential oils from my herb garden and so can you! I will tell you how in a few easy steps you can create your own essential oils.
- Glass Bottles (twice the number of herbs/spices you have. So if you have 6 herbs/spices then you will need 12 bottles.)
- Big Pot
- Vegetable Oil
1. Fill pot a little more than half way up with water and put pot on stove.
2. Remove caps from bottles and place them in the water (make sure to tilt their heads/openings downward so they will fill with water and not float)
3. Turn heat on high and wait for water to boil. Set a timer for the bottles to boil for 15 minutes.
4. Cut herbs from plants, put into strainer, and wash them with cold water. DO NOT SOAK IN WATER. Dry on paper towel.
5. After 15 minutes, turn off the stove and take the pot off the heat.
6. Take bottles out of the water and put on paper towels to let them dry for a few seconds. Put the bottle caps and the funnel into the hot water. You do not want to boil the caps because if boiled the caps loose their protective rubber.
7. Put herbs/spices into the bottles and put in the funnel.
8. Pour oil into the funnel slowly. Be careful not to have the oil overflow the bottle because it will make a mess. Also make you cover the herbs entirely so they are not sticking out of the oil.
9. Take the caps out of the water and put them on the bottles. Wash the oil off the bottles with dawn and water. Dry the bottles thoroughly.
10. Put the bottles in a cool, dark, and dry place where no light can get to them. Let them infuse for 3 weeks.
11. Check them occasionally and make sure they look okay. If you see anything growing then this means something went wrong in the sterilization process and you have to throw the oil out. Wipe off any residue which builds up on the outside.
12. After 3 weeks, your essential oils should be infused and ready to use. Strain out the herbs from the oil into sterilized (boiled for 15 minutes) bottles. The essential oils should be good for about 6 months.